Saturday, February 10, 2007

* what is the mood of this novel? do you find this novel saddens you in any way? why?


I think that the mood of this novel is sad and gloomy. It seems like the people have no freedom and are always filled with fear. The government seems to be like a dictatorship. People watch boring television that is made by the government all day, and live life like zombies. The people don’t have minds of their own, so everything is boring which makes life sad and depressing. Since this novel takes place in the future, mostly everything is done with new technology, so people don’t have to think. People live in fear that they might be caught by the mechanical hound if they have a book because they hunt people down and kill them if they do. What makes the mood even more gloomy and sad is that at the end of the novel, the war had ruined the city. Most of the story tells of an unhappy setting. The only positive mood in the story is when Guy Montag and the people he met after running away see a hope in future to make people change and want to read books.The mood of the novel makes me frustrated because if I lived in a society where people acted as they did in the novel I wouldn’t want to live. To me there would be no point in life to sit around all day and watch boring television. I would get so mad and try my best to get people to rebel against the government to receive more freedom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that the mood of this novel is sad and gloomy. To me, everyone in the story seemed to be living in the same routines everyday, not even wondering why they were living that way. Everyone was never truly happy, even though they thought they were. The only person who seemed to be happy was Clarisse (and her family). You said that "What makes the mood even more gloomy and sad is that at the end of the novel, the war had ruined the city." I think it is sad that the city was destroyed, but on the other hand, I was happy because Montag and the other men could finally be free. It is surprising that you would try your best to get people to rebel against the government to receive more freedom! Although I would want to do the same thing, I don't know if I would have the courage to. I would be afraid that my house, my family, and I would be burnt.

Korean Cherry Blossem said...

Yes, I agree with what you said about the novel being das and gloomy. But I don’t really think that everyone lives in fear as much as they live pain and sadness. They don’t seem to know what they are missing in life, and don’t seem to care one way or the other. The government isn’t the sole dictator though. It was originally from the people that all of this oppression of books came. Most of the setting is pessimistic, and gloomy, but when Guy finds first Clarisse and then Professor Faber, and finally the ‘underground’ people you find moments of ‘peace’ of a hopeful message. I find that it is often true that in today’s society we tend to focus on the negative side of life rather than all of our blessings (e.g. the freedoms prohibited in this novel such as reading). It is realize what we have and to make good use of everything we have. Your blog was good! (and pretty insightful, I would be bored watching T.V. all day too :D)

African Globe Trotters. said...

Good identification of mood. Mrs.MC.