Sunday, February 11, 2007

* are there any settings in this novel which you have found to be beautiful? or disturbing? or memorable? describe these settings and comment on why t


* are there any settings in this novel which you have found to be beautiful? or disturbing? or memorable? describe these settings and comment on why they were meaningful to you.

I found the setting of when Guy Montag and Clarisse would talk outside beautiful and the most memorable. The setting was peaceful and both people were happy. I think I like this setting the most because it is the happiest feeling in the story and when they talk to each other, they seem to make each others day better. It was also meaningful to me because I love talking to people that look at life in a different way and make me understand things better.
The setting I thought was the most disturbing was when the firemen go to an old lady’s house and burn the house down because there were books in the attic. Not only do they do this, but they burn the house with the lady in it. She didn’t want to leave her books. I thought it was disturbing because they didn’t care what she thought or wanted and let her burn. They found that books were a matter of life and death which made me really shocked. I felt bad for the old lady and thought that this setting was sad and wrong. It disturbed me the most that the firemen just left silently after the house set fire. Since firemen these days are supposed to stop fires to save people, I think I felt weird because these firemen did the opposite. I couldn’t understand how people could be able to kill other people so easily over something so little as a book.

4 comments:

Christina Lee said...

I totally agree with you the most beautiful and the most disturbing scene in this book! When I read the part where Clarisse and Montag were walking together at night, it seemed very peaceful and far from the world that was so out of control. As if they were having a “real” conversation comparing to random conversation with Mildred or Captain Beatty. They were really talking about the novels and seemed they had no worries. Also, the scene where the old lady was burnt with her books was very memorable, not because it was horrifying, but because it was a starting point where Montag started to think about his life and took actions to find the truth and righteousness. I loved reading your entries because you really wrote what you wanted to wrote and it was very original. You’ve wrote a lot of your thoughts and I agreed majority of them. Have a great lunar break^^

Jean Eun Jin Lee. said...

I also thought that woman burning in her house was disturbing. I was honestly shocked that the woman actually lit the fire in her house. She also died with the books! I was so amazed at how a person could be so passionate for books. Would you die for books if you were in the woman's situation? I think that books are important, but I don't think they are worth a life. I don't understand why the woman decided to die. She could have just started another collection of books. For the firemen, SHAME on them!! Aren't their job supposed to make people happy? BAd!Bad!Bad!

SNAM said...

Wow, Lauren, you couldn't be more right. :)

I completely agree with you on this post. I only talked about the most disturbing setting on my blog, but you talked about the most beautiful AND disturbing settings. I was at first going to write about the most beautiful setting in my opinion, which happens to be what you wrote! I didn't write it because I didn't know how to explain the reasons why in words, but you did it right here. :D I really think Montag and Clarisse talking through the quiet peaceful night was the most true and beautiful part of the book because they were happy and made each other's day better (like you said). Good job on expressing your thoughts! (:

African Globe Trotters. said...

Lauren, your post really shows how good writing encourages other students to share their ideas and thoughts. Mrs.Mc.